Starting a blog is always exciting.
For a new blogger, it can become a challenge.
A lot of queries creep up in the mind like “Where to buy domain name?”, “Where to host” etc.
In this post, I’ll explain how to create a free blog with Google and go over some related queries.
Starting A Blog On Google
1. Go to Blogger.com which is a free blog maker and click on “Create Your Blog”
2. It will ask to sign-in with your Google id. If you don’t have it yet, click here to get one.
3. On this page:
- Type in the Title for your new blog. If your topic is cycling then it could be like “Best Cycling Group in Houston”. Make it short. For search engine optimization purpose title length should be under 60 characters.
- In the address field, type in your website name. It would show like “cyclinginhouston.blogspot.com” if you go for free, which is the default. Otherwise, you can buy a domain like “cyclinginhouston.com”
- In this step, you need to select a theme. Choose any, it can be changed later.
4. Your Free Blog On Google has been created.
It’s time to type your first post and publish.
Everything is setup.
You can change the theme, setup ads to grow your audience/traffic, setup AdSense to earn from the blog.
The learning comes when you are fairly regular with putting out useful content for your audience. Once the traffic comes like 500/day, you can earn decent with AdSense.
Buying Domain/Website Name
In order to remove .blogspot.com from the website name, you need to buy a domain.
Google allows you to buy the domain from them when a new blog is created.
But the pricing is usually high.
To get a domain name at a cheap rate check this site. Plus it gives free whois protection for one year.
To configure new domain name bought for the blog, click on “Settings” in the left sidebar.
Under Basic > Publishing > Blog Address > Click on “+ Set up a third-party URL for your blog”: Type-in your newly bought domain with www and click “Save”.
It will give an error like this::
The error would give two columns with 2 CNAME values.
These have to be updated in domain registrar (from where the domain was bought).
For example in Namecheap,
Under dashboard, click on “Manage” next to your domain name.
Then click “Advanced DNS”.
Under “Host Records”, change the values to the ones provided by the error message.
1. Replace the first value here.
2. Click on Add New Record and select Type – CNAME Record and fill second value.
Create Multiple Blogs On One Google Account
You can create more than one blog in blogger account.
Click on your blog name above the left sidebar and select “New Blog” in drop down.
Blogging For Money
Work on your website till it receives 50-100 traffic/day. Then apply. Click on “Earnings” in the sidebar. Then click “How to Qualify For Adsense”. The new page would open, scroll down to “Sign Up For Adsense” and click on it. On this page, sign-in with your Google id and follow the steps. That’s it.
You’ll receive confirmation in no time.
But, How Do I Use Blogger?
It has been explained above. The only thing to do next is “type new posts”.
Please post your further queries in the comment box below and I’ll be happy to help.
Take a look at some of the free BlogSpot creations: